If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cookies for Purim! —Joan Nathan
Makes 30 cookies
- 2.5 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2.5-3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- .5 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- .5 lemon, quartered and seeded
- .5 orange, quartered and seeded
- 1 tablespoon Triple Sec or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 dried figs, roughly chopped
- .5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- .5 cups orange marmalade
- To make the dough, cream the butter or margarine with 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor or standing mixer. Add the egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and orange juice and continue to cream until smooth.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the dough comes together, adding flour until the dough is pliable. It will be slightly sticky. Roll into a ball, using the remaining flour if needed, flatten, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- To make the filling, place walnuts, lemon, orange, Triple Sec, figs, cinnamon, marmalade, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor and process until chopped but not pureed. You should have approximately 2 cups. Set aside until the dough is chilled.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a cookie sheet. Fill a small bowl with water.
- Roll the dough out on a slightly floured board until it is 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch circles. Place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle. To shape the hamantashen, first brush water around the rim of the circle with your finger. Pull the edges of the dough up to form a triangle around the filling and pinch the 3 corners together, leaving a small opening in the center. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Recipe of the Day
Barbecue chicken like it's meant to be
Recipe of the Day
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
Meet the editors: Amanda Sims.
We give it 8 tentacles up.