If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love crisps...or are they crumbles!? After researching the topic online, I still couldn't find a for sure answer to the crisp vs. crumble debate... all I know is that pears and apples mixed with spices and topped with buttery, brown sugar-oat topping is one of my favorite fall/winter desserts. Move over pie... I'll take this crispy crumbly dessert any day! - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 2 firm pears- peeled and cut into large bite-size chunks
- 2 tart apples (such as Granny Smith)-peeled and cut into large bite-size chunks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (powdered)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter- melted
- 2 crushed sugar cubes (or about 1 teaspoon white sugar)
- Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.
- Stir together apples, pears, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. place in a buttered 1-2-quart baking dish.
- Stir together oats, flour, salt, and and brown sugar. Blend in butter with your fingers until mixture is thoroughly moistened. Press over fruit and sprinkle with crushed sugar cubes or granulated sugar.
- Bake until juices are bubbling and topping is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly, and serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or a drizzle of heavy cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Buckle, Slump, Grunt, Crumble, Cobbler, Crisp, Sonker, Pandowdy, and/or Betty