If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chicken Adobo has been a standby favorite dish for decades.i mean, Adobo, what's not to like? Soy sauce (Tamari- even better!), vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, black pepper: some of my favorite flavors. Not only that, but the few ingredients are always in my pantry, and it takes only 5 minutes to put it together! The other night, I was looking for a simple okra preparation that would complement a chicken entree., so I tried adapting the Adobo for okra. Hooray, it worked!: - LE BEC FIN
- 1 pound okra pods (no need to remove caps)
- 1/4 cup tamari(I prefer SanJ Low Sodium)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, broken up
- 1/4 pound Jerusalem Artichokes/Sunchokes, optional; unpeeled, washed, cut into 2" peces
- Put all into a saucepan, cover and bring to boil. Set lid ajar, reduce to simmer , After 10 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. Cook 15-30 minutes til okra is tender and filled with flavor. Remove from heat, remove okra from pan and cook down juices to thicken a bit. Pour over okra and serve.
- Note: When I make Chicken Adobo, I always have some leftover sauce that I keep in the freezer. The more it gets used and supplemented with further Adobo chicken dishes(like a Starter!), the more chicken essence/gelatin gets added If you have some, you can use this for all or part of this recipe.
- * The nutty flavor and creamy texture of Jerusalem Artichokesmake make a nice complement to the okra.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.