Author Notes: Chicken Adobo has been a standby favorite dish for decades.i mean, Adobo, what's not to like? Soy sauce (Tamari- even better!), vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, black pepper: some of my favorite flavors. Not only that, but the few ingredients are always in my pantry, and it takes only 5 minutes to put it together! The other night, I was looking for a simple okra preparation that would complement a chicken entree., so I tried adapting the Adobo for okra. Hooray, it worked!: - LE BEC FIN
- 1 pound okra pods (no need to remove caps)
- 1/4 cup tamari(I prefer SanJ Low Sodium)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, broken up
- 1/4 pound Jerusalem Artichokes/Sunchokes, optional; unpeeled, washed, cut into 2" peces
- Put all into a saucepan, cover and bring to boil. Set lid ajar, reduce to simmer , After 10 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. Cook 15-30 minutes til okra is tender and filled with flavor. Remove from heat, remove okra from pan and cook down juices to thicken a bit. Pour over okra and serve.
- Note: When I make Chicken Adobo, I always have some leftover sauce that I keep in the freezer. The more it gets used and supplemented with further Adobo chicken dishes(like a Starter!), the more chicken essence/gelatin gets added If you have some, you can use this for all or part of this recipe.
- * The nutty flavor and creamy texture of Jerusalem Artichokesmake make a nice complement to the okra.