If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Espinacas con garbanzos is one of my favorite dishes in Barcelona. Here, I made a version is a tad bit healthier, vegetarian, and uses kale instead of spinach. - Love and Lemons
Serves 3-4, as a side
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 bunch kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- splashes Lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot, a pinch of salt, and cook until transluscent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and saffron. Stir, and cook until just aromatic, about 30 seconds, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add the chickpeas and a bit more salt. Stir to incorporate. Turn the heat of the burner up a bit, and let the chickpeas cook until they begin to turn golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sherry vinegar and tomato paste, then the kale. Continue to cook for a few minutes until the kale is just wilted. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding a little lemon juice if necessary.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens