Author Notes: Espinacas con garbanzos is one of my favorite dishes in Barcelona. Here, I made a version is a tad bit healthier, vegetarian, and uses kale instead of spinach. - Love and Lemons
Serves 3-4, as a side
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 bunch kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- splashes Lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot, a pinch of salt, and cook until transluscent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and saffron. Stir, and cook until just aromatic, about 30 seconds, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add the chickpeas and a bit more salt. Stir to incorporate. Turn the heat of the burner up a bit, and let the chickpeas cook until they begin to turn golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sherry vinegar and tomato paste, then the kale. Continue to cook for a few minutes until the kale is just wilted. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding a little lemon juice if necessary.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens