Author Notes: Incredibly easy to put together, these savory fragrant bites are a sure hit time and time again. Add your favorite herbs, or substitute pistachio for pignoli, or skip the fancy-shmanciness altogether -- the outcome is invariable same -- they will be gone in 60 seconds. The sausage bites can be prepared ahead up to step 9 and frozen. Remove from the freezer 1 hr prior to baking.
Inspired by Sausage Rolls recipe from The Complete Book of Party Food and Appetizers by Bridget Jones - Eat Already!
Makes 4 dozen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (about 14 oz) mild or hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to instructions
- 1 egg, whisked with a small pinch of salt and 1 tbsp water
- 4 tablespoons sesame, caraway, fennel, dill, or other seeds for sprinkling
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat
- Add minced garlic and onion, and saute for 5-6 minutes, until fragrant and translucent. Let cool until manageable
- Mix sausage, onion+garlic, thyme, basil, fresh dill, salt and pine nuts in a bowl, until uniform and smooth.
- Roll out the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface into 4 strips 3 inches wide and about 12 inches long.
- Arrange sausage stuffing into a 1″ inch roll in the middle of the strip, taking care to reach all the way to the edge on short end of the strip.
- Sprinkle a portion of parmesan on top of the sausage stuffing
- Spread some egg wash along one of the long edges of the dough.
- Carefully fold the dough over the sausage stuffing, closing the seem.
- Roll the sausage filled dough pipe on the board a little bit to ensure uniform thickness and to seal the seam. Proceed with the remaining dough and stuffing.
- When all pipes are ready, spread the egg wash all over them, and sprinkle the seeds of your choosing on top.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Cut each pipe into 12 1″ bites.
- Arrange the bites on a baking sheet 1″ apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Serve warm