If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tomato and eggs over rice is a dish you'll find on many Chinese restaurant menus, but it's so incredibly easy to make that I never order it. The only preparation is chopping the scallions and tomatoes, and you'll most likely have everything else already in your pantry or refrigerator. This is the definition of real Chinese comfort food to me. - The Cooking of Joy
Food52 Review: I felt sure this dish would fit among my list of comfort foods in a bowl with its mix of creamy eggs, tangy tomatoes, and Asian flavors. It came together in about 15 minutes (minus the rice) and was super easy to make. I would reduce the salt (or sub in a tiny bit of soy instead) next time, but otherwise I liked the flavors. It was surprising that despite the sesame oil and rice wine and vinegar that the dish felt like it could cross many ethnic borders when served with different toppings. I ended up adding cilantro, sesame seeds, and avocado to mine for a tasty lunch. - savorthis
Serves 2 to 3
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large tomatoes or 3 plum or Roma tomatoes
- 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Cooked rice
- Chop the scallions finely and separate the white and green pieces. Chop the tomatoes into 3/4-inch pieces
- Beat the eggs and add the rice wine, sesame oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil until hot. Add egg mixture and cook, folding the cooked parts up and letting the raw parts run down. Once the eggs are 90% done (there will still be some shiny liquidy parts on top) transfer to another dish (I usually use the same bowl I beat the eggs in).
- Clean the pan and heat another tablespoon of oil. Once it is hot, add the white scallion pieces and the rest of the salt. Stir fry for 1 minute and then add the tomatoes, the rest of the scallions, vinegar, and sugar. Cook for another 2 minutes until very fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add to the tomato mixture, stirring until the sauce is thickened. Add the eggs back in and cook for 1 more minute, stirring to mix. Taste and add more salt, if needed. Serve over rice.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.