If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Break out of your bulgur wheat rut with a recipe that has all the Middle Eastern flair and flavor of tabouli but none of its predictability. Served hot, this one-pot meal is a hearty and satisfying entrée or side dish. Cold, it’s a ready-to-eat meal or delicious addition to a salad. Don’t be afraid to get creative and throw in any extra proteins, vegetables, or spices that you may have on hand into the bulgur and spinach basic recipe; the addition of corn, lentils, and tofu on a recently rainy day was perfect for both a comforting dinner and a savory twist on tofu scramble the next morning. —Giorgina Paiella
- 1 cup fine, medium, or coarse bulgur wheat
- 10 ounces organic frozen chopped spinach
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- Defrost spinach. Rinse bulgur wheat in a colander under a cool stream of water. Place colander over a bowl of water and soak for 10 to 15 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Chop onion and add to pan; sauté until onions are translucent. Peel and chop garlic, stir into pan, and lower heat.
- Drain spinach and add to the pan. Press bulgur down with a spoon to drain and remove excess water; add to the pan.
- Season with cumin and salt, adding more to taste if desired. Toss and place a lid on the mixture until bulgur is cooked, about 5 minutes if using fine bulgur (longer cooking time for coarser varieties.)
- If serving the mix hot, plate immediately. It can also be served at room temperature or packaged and stored in the fridge if planning to serve cold.
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.