Author Notes: Being a huge lover of farro, on a recent trip to the Umbrian countryside of Italy I noticed that farro soup was on many menus. I tried it and decided that I had to make my own version. It is very important to use the richest, most delicious beef stock, preferably homemade, of course. - dymnyno
- 1 cup yellow onion, medium chop
- 3/4 cups celery, medium chop
- 1/2 cup carrot, medium chop
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 8 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups farro, cooked al dente
- 1 quart beef stock
- Saute' the onions, celery and carrots until translucent.
- Heat one cup of the beef stock and add the porcini to reconstitute .
- Cook the farro until slightly al dente.
- In a blender (or Vita Mix) blend about 3/4 of the vegetables, garlic,1 cup of the cooked farro and all of the porcini and liquid until smooth.
- Add back to the pot and add the remaining farro,vegetables and beef stock. Add 2 1/2 cups of tomato sauce. Season and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of farro and a couple grinds of fresh black pepper.