If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Think vegan desserts are out of your reach? Think again. While this recipe is a little time intensive, it feels much easier if you make the creamy chocolate filling a day or two ahead of time. You can also make the cake a day ahead of time, and then simply assemble it and make the ganache the day you'll be serving. - Gena Hamshaw
Serves 10 to 12
Vegan chocolate layer cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups almond, rice, or soy milk (I used soy)
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups organic sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Place these dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the milk and beat until it's frothy. Whisk in the oil, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add about a third of the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix them together (you can use a spatula, whisk, or a hand mixer on the lowest setting). Add another third, keep mixing for a few moments, and then add the final third. When ingredients are just fully incorporated, stop mixing.
- Pour the cake batter into two round, 8 or 9-inch springform cake pans that have been greased with coconut oil. Bake for twenty-five minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake is clean. Allow the cakes to cook completely.
Creamy Chocolate Filling and Ganache
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- To make the creamy chocolate filling: Use a food processor to process the pumpkin, cocoa, maple syrup, and almond or cashew butter till smooth. Set aside.
- To make the ganache: Stir the milk and syrup together in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Pour this mixture over the chocolate and stir until all of the chocolate is melted. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- To assemble the cake: remove the cakes from their pans. Place one onto your cake stand and gently shave the rounded top off of it with a sharp knife. Spread the creamy filling over this layer. Gently place the other cake over it. Pour the ganache over the cake. Transfer to a refrigerator to set for an hour. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!