Author Notes: Think vegan desserts are out of your reach? Think again. While this recipe is a little time intensive, it feels much easier if you make the creamy chocolate filling a day or two ahead of time. You can also make the cake a day ahead of time, and then simply assemble it and make the ganache the day you'll be serving. - Gena Hamshaw
Serves 10 to 12
Vegan chocolate layer cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups almond, rice, or soy milk (I used soy)
- 2/3 cups melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup organic sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Place these dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the milk and beat until it's frothy. Whisk in the oil, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add about a third of the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix them together (you can use a spatula, whisk, or a hand mixer on the lowest setting). Add another third, keep mixing for a few moments, and then add the final third. When ingredients are just fully incorporated, stop mixing.
- Pour the cake batter into two round, 8 or 9-inch springform cake pans that have been greased with coconut oil. Bake for twenty-five minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake is clean. Allow the cakes to cook completely.
Creamy Chocolate Filling and Ganache
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- To make the creamy chocolate filling: Use a food processor to process the pumpkin, cocoa, maple syrup, and almond or cashew butter till smooth. Set aside.
- To make the ganache: Stir the milk and syrup together in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Pour this mixture over the chocolate and stir until all of the chocolate is melted. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- To assemble the cake: remove the cakes from their pans. Place one onto your cake stand and gently shave the rounded top off of it with a sharp knife. Spread the creamy filling over this layer. Gently place the other cake over it. Pour the ganache over the cake. Transfer to a refrigerator to set for an hour. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!