If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the secret recipe I keep in my (metaphorical) back pocket. It’s my chosen way of winning friends and influencing people. I think I’ve made it for every party I’ve hosted for the past four years. Dollop it on crackers with brie or blue cheese, and you've got an instant party appetizer. It's also heavenly on a burger, and it makes a wonderful savory tart filling. I love it so, so much. - ieatthepeach
Food52 Review: This is a very nice condiment that would work very well on a burger, or with ricotta on a cracker as Ieatthepeach suggested. You could even put them on mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or a bland protein such as a grilled chicken breast. The combination of thyme and orange zest is inspired! Next time, I would reduce the brown sugar to 2 tablespoons. - Tarragon
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced as thinly as possible
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Scant 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Leaves from 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and a large pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until almost all the liquid has boiled away and the onions are a pale blond color.
- Add balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, orange zest, and thyme. Return to a boil and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced and thickened to a jam-like consistency. Taste and adjust the salt, if necessary.
- Serve warm with bread and cheese, or at room temperature with almost anything else. The jam will keep in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to 5 days.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls