If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Consider this recipe sort of an elegant take on a NY bagel. We have all the elements here, with a twist. Whole wheat couscous meets creamy cheese, smoked salmon, fresh dill and chives. It is a bit lower carb, sensible, simple to make and oh so very tasty. Really, it's the essence of a doughy bagel.....minus the dough, with a Mediterranean twist! —Marla
Serves 4 as a side, more if using in mushroom caps as appetizer
- 4 ounces Wild Smoked Salmon
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Couscous
- 3 to 5 ounces Crumbled Feta Cheese
- handfuls Chopped Fresh Dill (reserve some for garnish)
- a few tablespoons Chopped Fresh Chives (reserve some for garnish)
- Black Pepper to taste
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Olive Oil
- Optional: Roasted Baby Portobello Mushroom Caps
- Cook couscous according to package directions -or- add 1 cup couscous to 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Take off heat and let couscous sit for about 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. This will yield about 2 cups of fluffy couscous. Set aside.
- Toss couscous in a bowl with some olive oil, garlic salt and pepper.
- Add smoked salmon, feta cheese, some dill and chives. Gently combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add more or less of any ingredient if you wish.
- Top each serving with additional feta, dill and chives for garnish. So simple, so good!
- Serving idea: Serve Smoked Salmon Couscous on roasted baby portobello mushroom caps.
- To Roast mushroom caps: Preheat broiler with oven rack 4" away from heat source. Gently wipe clean mushroom caps. Lightly spray both sides of mushrooms with olive oil, sprinkle on garlic salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet. Broil for about 2 minutes gill side up. Flip and broil the mushroom tops another two minutes. Dump out any liquid from mushrooms.
- Scoop a small amount of couscous into each mushroom cap and garnish with feta, dill and chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Couscous Dish
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.