Author Notes: This dish is fairly simple to make, but has complex and bold flavors. I came across the Royal Trumpet mushrooms while working at a Spanish tapas restaurant and couldn't wait to incorporate them in one of my recipes. The meatiness and texture is a really great contrast to the broccolini, while the pancetta's saltiness and the reduction's sweetness make for a delicious combination of flavors. - Mariya
- 2 cups sherry vinegar
- 2 cups broccolini-with trimmed ends
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 3/4 pounds pancetta-small dice
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion (~4oz)-small dice
- 2 cups Royal Trumpet mushrooms-with trimmed ends; sliced 1/4 in thick, on a bias
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Pour sherry vinegar into a sauce pan and very slowly reduce, until it decreases to 1/2 cup (approximately 25 min).
- Blanch broccolini; reserve.
- Heat 1 oz olive oil in a non-stick skillet and cook pancetta; remove and reserve.
- Drain excess oil and add onions to the pan; sweat until tender.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until almost tender.
- Add blanched broccolini to the pan and saute vegetables for ~3-4 minutes, until cooked through; season.
- Take the pan off the heat, add cooked pancetta, 1 oz olive oil, and lightly coat the mixture with the vinegar reduction (add this slowly, as you may not need to use all of the vinegar). Optional: serve with long grain rice, a hearty multi-grain bread, or orzo.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish