Author Notes: I love Salted Fish Fried Rice. I order whenever and wherever I see it. I've even asked restaurants if they could make it, even though it's not on the menu. For some reason, I have a hard time finding the salted fish and I don't exactly live in a food desert. So I have devised a recipe using salted anchovies, which are basically a more intensely flavored salted fish. The anchovy (salted fish) adds a rich saltiness which seems to make up for the small amount of meat. This dish is a great way to use up leftovers, so use it as a blueprint and add whatever ingredients (eg. vegetables, meat, etc) you have on hand. - HalfPint
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided, plus more as needed
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, very coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onions or scallions
- 1-2 anchovy fillets
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup diced (small) cooked carrots
- salt, optional
- soy sauce, optional
- ground white pepper, optional
- Season the chicken with a little salt. Heat a non-stick skillet or seasoned wok and add 1Tb oil. Add the chicken and stir-fry on high heat until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 2 Tb oil and onions. Cook until the onions are softened, ~2 minutes. Add the anchovy to the onions and stir & lightly mash until the anchovy disintegrates, 1-2 minutes.
- If mixture looks a little dry, add another Tb of oil. Add the rice, breaking up any lumps and mixing to coat the rice with the flavored oil.
- When the rice is thoroughly hot, crack the eggs over the rice and scramble them into the rice mixture. Keep stirring until the eggs are cooked.
- Return chicken to the skillet/wok and add the carrots and peas, stirring until the peas are just cooked, 3-5 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt or soy sauce, if needed. Add a light sprinkle of white pepper, optional. Serve immediately, but this tastes even better cold the next day.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Anchovies