If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the signature mustard green dish from the Punjab region of India that you don't see that often on restaurant menus. Its a rustic hearty dish of green thats paired with an equally rustic bread made out of corn meal. The flavor develops the longer it simmers, and the reward for your patience is well worth it in terms of the flavors - Panfusine
Makes ~2.5 cups
- 2 bunches Mustard greens
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 large shallots finely diced
- 2-3 green Serrano peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt to taste
- Trim the veins off the mustard greens and shred them with your hands into pieces. COmbine with the spinach leaves and cook down until they're completely wilted, and then a bit more. Allow to cool and then puree the leaves using an immersion blender.
- Crush the ginger, garlic and the serrano chiles in a mortar & pestle and make it as smooth as possible ( Yes, you can run it thru a blender if you choose too).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and add the ginger garlic paste, Fry until the paste begins to turn brown. Add the shallots and fry until it turns translucent and then add the dried fenugreek leaves. Allow the leaves to bloom until they emit their signature aroma.
- Add the mustard/spinach puree along with the paprika and salt. Allow the mix to simmer until the liquid evaporates enough for the dish to almost acquire a paste like consistency. Add the remaining butter, simmer for 5 minutes more
- Drizzle the cream just prior to serving. Serve warm with Naan or Pita
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.