If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread. A great quick bread full of roasted walnuts and tart cranberries enhanced by the flavor of orange zest and juice. Adapted from Gourmet October 1991. - Fork Vs Spoon - Mallory
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1+1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, diced and chilled
- 1 Grated zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cups Fresh Orange Juice
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1+1/2 cup Fresh Cranberries, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup Roasted Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Grated Orange Zest
- 2-4 tablespoons Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Roasted Walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x5in loaf pan with parchment paper so that a little bit hangs out over the edges. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut cold diced butter into flour mixture until it is pea sized and resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the zest of 1 orange, 3/4 Cup of orange juice, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients over flour/butter mixture and mix just until it is combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in cranberries and 1/2 cup roughly chopped roasted walnuts.
- Pour patter into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for about 15 minutes before removing from pan and letting it cool completely on wire rack.
- Once cool, whisk together powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest, and 1/4 cup roughly chopped roasted walnuts. Add orange juice tablespoon by tablespoon until desired thickness is reached (thick syrup). Place a piece of parchment paper under wire rack and slowly pour glaze over the loaf of bread. (trick: to set glaze fast, place glazed bread under heated broiler for 20 to 30 seconds - remove and let cool before slicing)
- Keep at room temperature in an airtight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts