Author Notes: These tasty hand-helds are like hot pockets, all grown up! Easier to prep than Greek-style spinach pie, you can make a whole pile in no time for an effortless, on-the-go (or while-you-watch) dinner or snack. They also freeze nicely and can be popped from freezer to oven. - One Hungry Mama
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for sauteing
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 ounces shredded mozarella
- 2 rounds pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In the meantime, carmelize onions in olive oil over medium-high heat. Set aside.
- Toss chopped spinach with salt. Let sit 3 minutes or so before squeezing the spinach of excess water. Mix drained, salted spinach with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, feta and carmelized onions.
- Roll dough into 5 to 6 inch rounds. Place a small mound of shredded mozzarella in the center of each round, top with about 2 tablespoons of spinach, then top spinach with a little more mozzarella. Fold in half, pinch and seal the edges with water. (When I have time, I shape these into neat crescents or triangles. When I have to move quickly, though, they remain free form.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Place pies on the prepped sheet and brush the tops with olive oil. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack