If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Oh my do I love beets, j'adore them! I tried my first in my early 20's beet after reading Tom Robbin's Jitterbug Perfume ( I his novel "Another Roadside Attraction" to thank for my love of mushrooms as well). I always though they were pretty but my exposure was limited to pink horseradish and the canned ones found in salad bars. Now i love them roasted, and pickled, and shaved and pureed, diced sliced etc. This recipe came about when catering a 40th b-day party this past summer, it's quite versatile, once the beets are done they can be piled on top of crostini smeared with sheep's milk ricotta or creamy goat cheese. They're a gorgeous base for grilled scallops. Diced in a tiny brunoise they make an elegant and gluten free hors'douerve served in a soup spoon - Aliwaks
- 1 pound freshest most beautiful red beets you can find
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dark honey
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- 2 tablespoons Fig Molasses
- 1 tablespoon Good balsamic vinegar
- Kosher Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon julienned mint leaves
- 1 pound Freshest most beautiful yellow beets
- 1 tablespoon Neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 2 tablespoons Bergamot oil
- 2 tablespoons Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- Kosher Salt
- White Pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely diced chives
- (Roasting directions from Tom Colicchio's craft of cooking) Preheat oven to 325, Wash and dry beet well, esp yellow ones make sure all the dirt is gone
- In separate bowls toss beets in neutral oil & season with salt & pepper. line two roasting pans with foil, add red beets to one, yellow to another, cover and roast for @ 40 min.
- Allow to cool slightly, starting with the yellow beets, peel gently by rubbing with a towel. Slice into rounds or dice in to a tiny dice (brunoise), do same with red beets keeping them in separate bowls.
- For Red beets: Whisk balsamic vin, fig molasses, honey & shallots together, slowly add in oil, Season to tastes & pour over beets, cover, let sit at least 1/2 hour, gently mix in mint when ready to serve
- For Yellow Beets: Whisk lemon juice & zest together, slowly add in olive oil them bergamot oil, season to taste. pour over beets, cover, let sit at least 1/2 hour, gently mix in chives when ready to serve.
- Serve either layered in a glass container, with crostini & a pot of lovely creamy goat cheese or sheep's milk ricotta on the side for do it yourself beet crostini or sliced in thin rounds, yellow on one side, red on the with a dollop of cheese in the center
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets