If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you actually looked at what goes into dry, bagged dog food, you would be ashamed to feed it to your little babies. I was on the hunt for a healthy dogfood that wouldn't break the bank and came up with a recipe that includes beets, spinach, carrots, chicken livers, rice, barley, garlic and sage. It's done wonders for the dogs and they can't keep from drooling every time we dish it out. - cheapfoodhere
Makes enough for 2 large dogs for 5 days
- 3 cups Uncooked whole grain brown rice
- 2 cups uncooked barley
- 2 cups chopped raw carrots
- 2 cups fresh chopped beet root
- 1 cup fresh chopped beet tops
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 2 cups chicken livers
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sage
- 12 cups water
- Combine ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 min to 1 hour. Keep pot covered, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add water as needed until the rice and barley are cooked.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.