Author Notes: Growing up during the summer time I remember often having this wilted spinach salad with eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and bacon in a warm vinegarette dressing and it was so good. I am always trying to recreate that salad each time using different ingredients to see what fits just right, usually everything does. - JennT1981
- 1 hard boiled egg, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pound fresh spinach, trimmed, clean and dry
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 3 tablespoons glazed walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a medium pot cover egg with just enough water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and remove from heat, let sit about 15 minutes.
- Cool egg in fridge until ready for use.
- In the meantime heat a large skillet over medium and add bacon.
- Cook until golden and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove to paper towel to drain and cool. Crumble when cool enough and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine, spicy mustard, honey, shallot, salt, pepper, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir using a whisk.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing.
- Pour dressing into same skillet that bacon cooked in and bring to medium heat.
- Scrape any bits from bottom using a wooden spoon.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, egg, bacon, tomato, celery, mushroom, blue cheese and nuts.
- Drizzle with warm dressing and toss gently to coat evenly and spinach begins to wilt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe