Author Notes: My friend, Amanda, gave me this recipe when I needed something to do with the veggies that came in a CSA delivery. It was fantastic! - marciw99
- 1 cup risotto (can also use barley but good old arborio is what we had)
- 1/2-1 cup chopped leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or whatever fresh herbs you might have around (I had parsley)
- 1 cup canned or precooked beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped greens (can use the bok choy or the other greens)
- Heat broth in a sauce pan one the stove to a simmer.
- In deep skillet heat oil and saute onions or leeks until soft.
- Add rice or barley and saute a couple of minutes in oil.
- Add white wine and saute a couple minutes.
- Add 1 cup broth and saute/simmer until it is absorbed by the rice.
- Add broth 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup at a time and stir until rice absorbs it.
- Rice should absorb 4 of the 5 cups of liquid and be "al dente" (around 35 minutes). If you like creamier risotto, keep adding the liquid 1/2 cup at a time to taste.
- When rice is al dente, add beans and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add greens and cook until wilted.
- Salt liberally to taste and add fresh pepper. Add thyme or any other fresh herbs.
- Remove from heat and mix in parmesan cheese. Add butter for even more decadent risotto.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Risotto (Savory)