Author Notes: This recipe is from our forthcoming book "Cooking with the Movies: Meals on Reels," for the dinner from the film "Big Night." - Anthony Chiffolo
- 6 globe artichokes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- juice of one lemon
- Trim the artichokes to their yellow portions, and using a grapefruit spoon, scoop out the hair chokes. Cut in half. In a large lidded pot, heat the oil until smoking. Carefully lower the artichokes into the oil, and cook, turning once, for approximately 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mint, parsley, and salt, then cover again, simmering for 5-6 minutes. Slowly pour in the wine, then lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. The chokes should be fork tender when done.
- Pour out the oil into a long thin platter with high sides. Line the artichokes in single file up the center and squeeze the lemon juice over them just prior to serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Artichoke Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side