If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pomegranate molasses - one of my absolute favorite flavorings - gives the green beans a sweet and sour finish which is enlivened by a hint of heat from the dried red pepper. Pomegranate molasses and walnuts seem to go together, but I have broken with tradition here by using pecans. You can find pomegranate molasses in middle eastern food markets, but I prepare my own and I have included directions here (see the asterisk). You will need to prepare the molasses ahead of time. - friendlyoaks
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses**
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 dried red pepper, crumbled
- Mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons white raisins, plumped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet over high heat. Add the green beans and stir them in the heated oil until the skins start to blister.
- Lower heat to medium. Add the onion and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the pomegranate molasses, lime juice, sugar and dried red pepper. Stir to coat the green beans. Let them cool somewhat.
- Arrange the greens evenly on a serving platter. Spoon the green beans over the greens and sprinkle them with pecans, raisins and orange zest.
- **To make pomegranate molasses, boil 2 cups of 100% pure pomegranate juice (no sugar, no other fruits, no preservatives, just the juice, the whole juice, and nothing but the juice) until reduced to 1/2 cup. When cool, pour it into a sterilized jar. I keep it on the shelf, but store an opened jar in the refrigerator. It will keep almost forever.**
Tags: sweet and sour
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.