If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The soft luscious texture of the zucchini makes a rich counterpoint to the bright crunchy endive. Plenty of lemon and thyme make this a perfectly seasonal salad to accompany most any grilled entree. —Sippity Sup (Greg Henry)
- 6 small zucchini
- salt, as needed
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme, leaves only
- 2 heads Belgium endive
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, separated
- 1/4 cup flat parsley, whole leaves only
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Prepare a moderate charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium (375 degrees). Trim the ends of the zucchini and slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" strips. Lay them onto a baking sheet and generously salt them on both sides. Set them aside to weep out some of the moisture, about 20 minutes, then wipe them off. Return them to the sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with half the thyme leaves and set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath in a medium-sized bowl. Slice the endive crosswise into 1/4" strips, discarding the core. Add them to the ice bath until ready to serve.
- Grill the zucchini slices directly over the coals, or gas flame, until nicely marked, turning once, about 3 minutes per side. Move them to a large serving platter as they cook. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and a small pinch of salt .
- Drain the endive well, then roll them in paper towels or turn them in a salad spinner until quite dry. Toss them over the grilled zucchini.
- Prepare the dressing: Whisk together 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, juice of one lemon, and the remaining thyme leaves. Drizzle this over the zucchini and endive. Garnish with whole parsley leaves and toasted pine nuts. Serve while the zucchini is warm and the endive is cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Lemon, Thyme and a Grill
Your New Main Squeeze
A tart, sunny lemon bar cheesecake
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Recipe of the Day
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.