Author Notes: This recipe came to me when i was trying to figure out a hearty salad dish to cater for both vegetarians and nonvegetarians. I love Shiso, which is a japanese herb, people call it 'japanese basil', even though i think it tastes and smells completely different.Growing up, I was fortunate to have shiso leaves growing wild in our yard. It will always remind of summer. Ume is japanese salted/preserved plum that is amazingly tart and makes your mouth water. i was at whole foods a few months ago and saw dandelion leaves which i hadn't eaten since i was a little kid. I bought it and threw it into the mix and ended up loving the combination. This salad dish is perfect for a summer day. I suggest pairing it with grilled shrimp to make this meal complete! - Lei
'for the salad'- english cucumbers, dandelion leaves, daikon radish, pearl barley, grape tomatoes
- 2 english cucumbers
- 1 Daikon radish
- 1 bunch Dandelion leaves
- 1 cup pearl barley (uncooked)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
'for the dressing'
- 3 tablespoons mirin (japanese cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons umeboshi plum vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch shiso leaves
- 3 tablespoons umeboshi plum paste
- in a pot, pour 3 cups of water and 1 cup of barley. bring to a boil. reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 45 minutes.
- cut the cucumbers in cubes and add into a big bowl.
- peel the skin of the daikon radish and cut into cubes. add into the bowl with cucumbers
- cut the grape tomatoes in halves and add to the bowl with cucumbers and daikon.
- cut the stems off the dandelion leaves and roughly chop the leaves into smaller pieces. add into the bowl with the rest of the vegetables
- after the barley is cooked, wait about 15 minutes to cool, then add the barley to the bowl of vegetables
- take the shiso leaves and roughly chop them. set aside in a separate bowl.
- add all the 'dressing ingredients' into the bowl with the shiso leaves. use a hand blender to blend all the ingredients (if you dont own a hand blender, a regular blender is also fine to use).
- pour the dressing over the salad and toss to make sure the salad is coated all around. plate and serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe