If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The idea of a recipe, like risotto being no good as leftovers does my head in. Did my head in should I say, till I discovered Arancini - perfect balls of left-over risotto, stuffed and 'crumbed to make tasty rice balls - perfect for snack, lunch box, dinner and whatever you want to make of it! - Kitchen Butterfly
- 1 cup leftover risotto
- 1/3 cup cooked chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup seasoned all-purpose flour, to roll balls
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoon of milk
- 1 cup Panko/fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 25g fresh mozzarella, torn into small balls
- Mix the risotto rice and spinach together. Season to taste.
- Set up the conveyor belt of crumbing ingredients in individual bowls: seasoned flour in one, the egg and milk mixture in another and the breadcrumbs in a third. A tip for those who hate loosing half their breadcrumbs to sticky fingers when dipping, flouring and crumbing stuff, like me - use a spoon, not your hands. You'll also see that you get a more even coating of flour, egg and panko.
- Using a teaspoon or tablespoon, scoop some risotto mix and put it in the flour. At this stage, put a mozzarella piece in the centre of the ball.
- Using a spoon, dump it into the egg bowl and use a fork to gently roll around before putting into the panko. Roll that bowl around too and finally remove, with a fork and set on a plate.
- Repeat this till you've used up all the rice. When you’re all done, set the plate in the fridge and let it rest for half an hour or longer.
- While it is resting, set up to deep fry. When the oil is hot and a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds, fry the balls till golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve with a spicy tomato sauce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella