If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The silky smooth texture and a light, delicate sweet flavor from the yellow squash combines well with the tartness of the Granny Smith apple. The combination of curry powder and yellow squash gives this light, creamy soup a bright yellow color making it both pretty and flavorful. The fresh ginger and pinch of cayenne infuses spiciness throughout the dish. I like to make the soup ahead of time and serve it cold. Toasted sweet coconut make the perfect crunchy garnish. —Garden Gate Kate
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 yellow squash, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, lightly toasted, for garnish
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, curry powder, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add the yellow squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the apple and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Carefully transfer the some of the soup to a blender. Cover the rim of the blender with a towel and puree it in batches until smooth and creamy. This soup can be served warm or cold. Reheat the soup and ladle it into bowls for a warm curry soup. For a cold soup, refrigerate in a pitcher or bowl. Garnish with toasted coconut at serving time.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
Food Blog Links We Love
Perfect picnic fare
Food blog links we love.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.