If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I invented this recipe, well...kind of. I read the ingredients off a jar of Dorito's salsa dip in 1999 and set about creating my perfect salsa. 11 years on, we enjoy it with plantains, on tortillas, as pizza sauce and with rice. The last time we had them (pictured here), we rolled tortillas with plantains, veggies and some flaked white fish, topped with salsa and enjoyed! - Kitchen Butterfly
Serves about 2 1/2 cups
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 300g fresh tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 large red onion, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 a green bell pepper/paprika, cut into chunks
- 2-3 small red chilli peppers (or to taste), chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (I used some homemade blackberry wine vinegar)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 a teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 a teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in medium sized saucepan, when hot, add chopped tomatoes, onions, paprika, chilli peppers and garlic. Salt to taste and let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes till the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomato puree, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and the spices and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste – the aim is to have a balance between sweet, rich and peppery. Take off heat and use as desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment