If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like resolutions that are very easy to keep, and that can be accomplished rather early on in the year. What better time to start than New Year's Day! Every year I vow to take better care of myself: drink less, sleep more, have fun, but with balance in mind. Enter: the Detox Soup. My mom is a fan of all things leafy and green. I grew up watching her make this soup at least once a week for lunch, or just to sip on throughout the day. Since you’re pureeing the mixture, you don’t have to go overboard with the cooking of the chard to make sure that the stems get tender enough, and that makes this soup incredibly fast as well as tasty. Additionally, adding zucchini balances the texture, allowing the base to become all the more creamy and smooth in consistency. A little kick of cayenne and some lemon juice to brighten the flavors, and you’ve got a perfect healthy everyday (green) soup. —PhoebeLapine
- 2 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch chard (stems and leaves separated), coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, stem ends removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock (or veggie)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium dutch oven, bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Add the chard stalks and simmer for 4 minutes, or until they start becoming tender. Add the chard leaves, zucchini, and salt. Replace lid and simmer for another 4 minutes or so. When the vegetables are beginning to soften, but are not completely cooked through, add the cilantro and cook for an additional minute (you just want the herbs to wilt slightly).
- Remove greens from pot, and set cooking liquids aside for another use. Blend the greens in a food processor or blender, adding some of the liquids as necessary to obtain your desired texture.
- Add the lemon, cayenne, and taste for seasoning. Serve in a mug or bowl, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best New Year's Resolution Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook Greens
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Recipe of the Day
The chicest apron around.