If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We recently discovered this little oil and vinegar shop called Oro that sells the sweetest infused 18 year aged balsamic vinegars including a pomegrante balsamic vinegar that served as the inspiration behind this recipe. Since pomegranates are in season right now I added some to this recipe for the texture although the crunch of the wild rice is plenty to keep the dish interesting. The roasted chestnuts and tart dried cherries compliment the sweetness of the roasted butternut squash. —lisa ann
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 med lemons)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup fresh chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 11 ounces jar roasted chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 3/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Toss squash with 2T olive oil and salt to taste in large baking pan and spread in single layer. Roast in oven for 15 minutes until squash just tender and transfer to bowl.
- Cook onion in 1T olive oil in skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally until golden brown, add to bowl with squash.
- Add bay leaf to vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Add wild rice, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes until rice begins to split. Drain rice and remove bay leaf. Add rice to bowl with squash and onions.
- Add pomegranate seeds, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, roasted chestnuts, roasted red peppers and dried cherries to bowl with squash, onions and rice. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
Beet Greens Can't be Beat
The summer braise worth turning on the oven for
Beet greens can't be beat.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.