Author Notes: Spicy, crispy, and crunchy - a delicious, easy, and very fresh-tasting combo. - apartmentcooker
- vegetable oil, as needed
- 2-3 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a small saute pan, heat about 1 inch of oil over medium heat. When it is very hot, add the shallots and fry, tossing occasionally, until evenly golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the shallots and drain on absorbent paper towels. Season with salt. Let cool to room temperature.
- Heat the olive oil in a large wok. Add the green beans and stir-fry until they are tender-crisp, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until the garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes more. Season with salt and serve with the crispy shallots.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side