Author Notes: This recipe was adapted from one created by our local restaurant owner and chef, Lucia Watson. and told to me by my hair stylist and friend, Paula Schlee. It provides a wonderful mix of textures and tastes: wild rice (grown locally here), savory roasted root vegetables, sweet baked apple, and a crunch of toasted pine nuts. We usually serve this topped with crumbled bacon but if serving to vegetarians, you can substitute a vegetarian bacon instead. Or serve both types of bacon separately and let your guests choose. The tangy maple-sage vinaigrette is so good you will be glad that there is some left over.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon your best Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cups canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup (0r you can use honey or agave nectar)
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon Fresh sage coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Rice and Vegetables
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 4 small parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 small carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yam ,peeled and cubed
- 1 large apple, cored and cubed
- 6 scallions chopped coarsely
- 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oli
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Pine nuts that have been lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup well cooked until crispy, crumbled vegetarian bacon (or the real thing
- Place vinagrette ingredients in blender and blend briefly until smooth and creamy. taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Put the vegetables and apple and scallions into a large bowl. Toss to lightly coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a large baking sheet and roast in a 400 oven until soft and slightly brown on the outside. Check and stir around a few times to prevent from burning. Remove from oven and let cool for about 20-30 minuts.
- Mix the salad ingredients except for the pine nuts and vegetarian bacon together. Mix in some of the vinaigrette ( you will not use it all. Resrve the rest for another salad).
- Top with the vegetarian (or real) bacon crumbles and toasted pine nuts and serve.
- Sigh with pleasure!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side