If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Most Thanksgiving dinners in my memory include the string bean casserole (the canned soup and the fried onion company must do a lot of their business on this holiday) and Creamed Spinach. Sometimes with all the calorie-heavy sides, you just want a salad or simple greens. There’s another option available around this time of year--the Chinese Water Spinach. It cooks similarly to the spinach we are all familiar with, reducing to about a third of the amount originally thrown in the pan, but it packs the added bonus of thin hollow stems, that when cooked, add a crunch to leafy greens. The chili peppers add a bite to the dish--just don't actually bite into them.
Serves 4 as a side
- 1 bunch water spinach (ong choy, water morning glory)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 4-5 Thai peppers (or bird peppers)
- 1 tablespoon Chili Shrimp Paste (garlic, black bean, sugar, shrimp paste, soy oil) OR a mixture of 1 Tablespoon black bean sauce + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- Crush the garlic and lightly smash the chili peppers (do not cut or grind)
- Wash and cut the water spinach into three inch long pieces.
- Heat up the grape seed oil in a wok and add the garlic and chili peppers. (Medium heat)
- Stir around and add the chili shrimp paste (or black bean sauce + sugar)
- Dump the water spinach in and stir fry, rotating the spinach to coat with the sauce and cook for about 3 minutes. You don’t need to add water or broth, as the spinach tends to give off a lot of liquid.
- Add fish sauce.
- Mix together and take the spinach off the burner.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
A chef's kids' lunch.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Recipe of the Day
Storage made crystal clear.