If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love cooking short ribs until they fall off the bone. The meat is unctuous, soft and fatty. For the stew, I braise the ribs in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sugar---the mainstays of Korean flavors. Then I drop in carrots, Daikon radish and potatoes, topping off the stew with dried jujubes, roasted chestnuts and shiitake mushrooms. The jujubes, or red dates, add a final touch of sweetness. - hummingbirdap - hummingbirdap
Food52 Review: Hummingbirdapp's enjoyable stew is filled with tender and juicy meat with oodles of root vegetables. The mellow broth is sweet and savory, perfect for chilly winter days. Dried jujubes are available in Asian grocery stores, but if you can't find them, substitute dates and use a little less sugar. - Stephanie Bourgeois
- 2-3 pounds beef short ribs, bone-in
- 5/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 9 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- cold water to cover ribs
- 1 small Daikon radish, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup chestnuts
- 1 cup dried jujubes, pitted
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced; discard stems
- sea salt to taste
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 3 cups water
- For the rice: Rinse rice three times. Make rice in a rice cooker. Or, combine rice and water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for about 18 minutes. Take off heat. Let sit for about five minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
- For chestnuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Make an incision in each chestnut by cutting across the shell and piercing the inner skin. Roast chestnuts on a sheet pan for 15-20 minutes. Peel, cut into quarters and set aside.
- For the stew: Cover short ribs with cold water in a pot. Bring to a boil and then discard the liquid.
- Mix soy sauce, mirin, sugar, garlic and ginger. Pour the mixture over short ribs in a clean pot. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil on the stove top. Lower heat to a simmer. Partially cover pot with a lid, leaving space for steam to escape.
- Simmer stew for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender and falls off the bone. Skim off any oil that rises to the top. Meanwhile, cut the carrots, daikon radish and potatoes.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the carrots, radish and potatoes to the stew. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add chestnuts, pitted jujubes and mushrooms.
- Ladle the stew in each bowl. Sprinkle sea salt over the short ribs. Serve with rice.