Author Notes: I love this recipe because many of the ingredients can be found at the farmers' market in the dead of winter, so you can still have a delicious and tasty local salad. -by at the farmers market - at the farmer's market - at the farmers market
Food52 Review: At the farmers market's salad is an interesting mix of peppery greens with a spicy dressing. The cream gives the salad a richness and the slivers of apples give it a sweet twist. The smoked trout is a fantastic addition. You'll be digging for more bites of the smokey chunks. - Stephanie Bourgeois
For the Salad
- 1 Whole Smoked Trout
- 1/2 Head Frisee
- 1/2 bunch Watercress
- 1/2 Bulb Fresh Fennel
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Apple - peeled, cored and julienned
- 1/4 cup Fresh Dill - chopped
- 1 dash Fresh Black Pepper
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Prepared Horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Dill
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- In a large salad bowl, break the smoked trout into small pieces, discarding any bones.
- Tear the frisee and watercress into small pieces and add that the bowl.
- Shave the fennel and shallots into fine slices and add them to the bowl. Add the apple, fresh dill and several grinds of black pepper.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all of the dressing ingredients into a jar. Cover and shake vigorously. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to distribute.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples