Author Notes: Raw Brussels sprouts make lovely salad material, when separated from their compact little heads. Add some crisp shaved raw Jerusalem artichoke heart, meaty green olives and a sweet-tart vinaigrette with Meyer lemon juice and zest, and you've got a salad to cure the mid-winter blahs. - Ivy Manning - Ivy Manning
Food52 Review: This is a lovely winter salad! The Meyer lemon vinaigrette provides a bright counterpoint to the anchovies, and there's lots of satisfying crunch from the Jerusalem artichokes, fruity flavor from the olives, and robust finish from the cheese. Do use the Castelvetranos as Ivy Manning directs; she has balanced textures and flavors beautifully here. I actually made this salad two ways, once as written and once without the anchovies. If you are feeding folks who don't like anchovies, you will still have an excellent salad. Note: You may find you need a few more Brussels sprouts, depending on the size and condition of the outer leaves. - calendargirl
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Castelvetrano olives
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 4 ounces Jerusalem artichokes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pinches fleur de sel
- 4 meaty anchovies, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese shards
- Place the lemon juice and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Using the flat side of a chef's knife, push on each olive until the pit comes free; discard pits. Cut the pitted olives into slivers and add to the bowl with the lemon juice-olive oil mixture; set aside.
- Cut the base off of one Brussels sprout. Carefully pull off the outer leaves, continuing to trim the base to release the leaves. Stop when you get to the yellow inner leaves that are tightly packed together, reserve this part of the sprout for another use. Repeat with remaining Brussels sprouts and add the leaves to the bowl with dressing.
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and thinly slice using a mandoline slicer. Add them to the bowl and toss with the dressing. Add the pepper, salt, and anchovies and toss to combine.
- Divide among 4 salad plates, top with cheese.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives