Author Notes: This dish is reminiscent of a risotto but made with using barley. It's delicious! - Foodie-isms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large shallots
- 1 chili pepper (medium heat range)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 the zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Saute garlic, shallots, and chili in vegetable oil for about 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Add barley, vegetable broth, and salt. Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes and then add the cream and lemon juice.
- Continue to simmer until for about 15 minutes or until the cream has become absorbed and you have a creamy constancy.
- Add lemon zest, sage, and cheese just before serving.