Author Notes: I was looking for something to do with the carrots, the pounds of carrots, from my farm share and decided the best use of them would be in a cake. I had a new bundt cake pan, why not use that. So off to the internet I went and found a few recipes I liked. I have a tendency to play with recipes even before I try them, it feels like I am putting my own stamp on something. - jordan.boughrum
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- zest from one medium sized lemon
- juice from that same lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, more if you feel daring
- 3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (1/2 if you really like the flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups grated carrots (I used both red and yellow carrots - could have added another 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream together the sugar and softened butter (leave the butter on the counter the morning you plan to make this) in a large bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, be sure to beat well after each egg.
- Add lemon zest and juice, and oil, mix well.
- In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients, gradually incorporate into other bowl.
- Fold in carrots and nuts.
- Grease your bundt pan, pour mixture into pan.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear. I think I baked for 75 minutes, minimum.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan, frosting should be poured on while cake is still warm.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered organic goats milk
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered milk, water, powdered sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla extract together until smooth and quite thick.
- This makes A LOT of frosting, you may want to pour half on and reassess. Pour frosting over warm cake and watch it drip down the sides. YUM.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve with a big glass of cold milk.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe