If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the Syrian tradition we make a lot of stuffed vegetables that in Arabic are called Mehshi, which means stuffed. We scoop out the center of eggplant, onions, squash, tomatoes and fill with a meat and rice filling. I found this recipe for stuffed carrots in the Taste Cookbook, a kosher cookbook published by Yeshiva of Flatbush and used a vegetarian and herb rice filling. I love the vibrant orange colors in this recipe! —Joy Betesh
For the stuffing
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/8 cup parsely chopped
- 1/8 cup mint chopped
- 1/8 cup dill chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon scant kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 20 4 inch pieces of thick carrots peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Sauce
- 1-2 Sweet potatoes sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons tamarind sauce or prune butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 12 dried apricots sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil till wilted. Add the water and salt, bring to a boil and then add rice. Cook the rice till all the water is absorbed....the rice will still be hard. Add the parsley, dill, mint, allspice, cinnamon, cumin to the rice. Set aside till cool.
- In a large pot boil the carrots till slightly tender. When cool enough to handle, core the carrots, leaving the bottom intact. Stuff the carrots with the rice mixture.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the tomato sauce, water, tamarind or prune butter, lemon, sugar and mint in a sauce pan and cook til well blended and comes to a boil.
- In the bottom of a dutch oven or roaster that has been lightly filmed with olive oil, place the sweet potato slices in one layer overlapping if necessary.Place the stuffed carrots on top of the sweet potatoes and tuck the apricots in between the carrots. Pour the sauce over the carrots, cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours till most of the sauce has been absorbed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.