Each week, we’ll be sharing a comprehensive list of links to help you master something new in the kitchen. Culinary greatness, here you come.
Today: How to make the most of fresh herbs.
Fresh herbs are the best way to dress up an otherwise plain dish or drink. They add flavor and color, breathing life into everything from potato salads and soups to cocktails to cookies. But all too often, fresh herbs either wilt or rot shortly after purchase or you're left with an abudance of leftover herbs and no game plan for using them up. Sound familiar? These links will help you use, store, and preserve herbs so they can reach their full potential.
- Fresh herbs 101: A basic primer to help you get started. (Food & Wine.)
- Watch this video to learn the best way to store fresh herbs. (America's Test Kitchen.)
- You can chop and chiffonade fresh herbs like a professional with these lessons on knife skills. (Serious Eats.)
- Get helpful tips from our community on different ways to save fresh herbs. (Food52.)
- Jeffrey Morgenthaler shows you how to blanch fresh herbs for simple syrups destined for cocktails. (Food Republic.)
What are your favorite ways to use fresh herbs? Share your tips with us in the comments!