For those nights when you get home hungry, stressed, and impatient, Hangry is here to help. Each Monday, Kendra Vaculin will share quick, exciting meals to rescue anyone who might be anxiously eyeing a box of minute rice.
Today: A simple pasta dish that gives you everything you deserve after a long day -- carbs and cream sauce.
Shop the Story
A small quiz:
1. Are you hungry?
2. Are you hungry for carbs?
3. Do you have 20 minutes to spare?
4. Would you like to eat a pasta that does not mess around?
5. Do you feel that you yourself do not mess around, and are thus prepared to get a fairly serious cream mushroom garlic wine situation on the fast track to your mouth?
6. When cooking with wine, are you interested in using some for the dish and some just on the side, for yourself? Will you at least humor that idea?
7. Are you definitely 100% not on a diet?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, perhaps you are my soulmate. If you answered yes to even one of them, I know what you need to make for dinner.
8 ounces (half a box) pasta -- I used those little spiraly ones because I like those, but fettuccini gives this a Stroganoff vibe 2 tablespoons butter 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/3 cup white wine 1 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup vegetable broth 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese
A New Way to Dinner, co-authored by Food52's founders Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs, is an indispensable playbook for stress-free meal-planning (hint: cook foundational dishes on the weekend and mix and match ‘em through the week).