Congratulations to Leith Devine, whose Banh Mi Soft Tacos won the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe!
1. Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
I have always traveled extensively, and when I was younger my mother always took me into grocery stores wherever we were because she said that was the best way to see what local people really ate. I still go to grocery stores whenever I travel, and I have an interesting collection of spices, marinades, etc., that I use in my cooking at home.
2. What's your least favorite kitchen task?
My least favorite task? Doing the dishes and peeling potatoes.
3. Your favorite kitchen tool?
A tie between my KitchenAid mixer, a large oval Le Creuset pot, and my outdoor smoker/oven.
4. What is your idea of comfort food?
Chicken in milk (my way, I should post it).
5. What is your greatest kitchen disaster?
Still very chewy (uncooked!) and separated scalloped potatoes at Thanksgiving!
Photos of tacos by Alpha Smoot; photo of Leith Devine provided by herself
See what other Food52 readers are saying.