It was Nixon's favorite snack. Is it yours?
We were all in agreement that cottage cheese is strange. What is it? we mused one morning after an editors' meeting. Cheese curds? Where on the line of dairy product between milk and cheese does it stand? (Is it even cheese?) But our collective befuddlement at cottage cheese is where our team's agreement on the subject ended.
Some of us were very pro, and admittedly more vocal than the anti-cottage cheese folks:
- Sarah suggested an ode—she eats it with jam.
- Leslie, who made her love for cottage cheese public long ago, swore her love to cottage cheese with cantaloupe.
- Merrill announced that she adores cottage cheese, proposing the hashtag #cottagecheeseclub.
- Our intern Riddley pulled out the caps-lock key to express her excitement: "I LOVE COTTAGE CHEESE!"
- Kristen admitted to liking it—even though it's "weird and squeaky"—especially as a salad dressing to Jaime Oliver's Smoked Beets.
- Amanda and Samantha only like it in more savory applications. Sam grinds black pepper "right there over the container," while Amanda likes it with pepper and pineapple, or tomatoes and olive oil, or dropped right into a salad.
Meanwhile, there were a few who resisted the #cottagecheeseclub:
- Bridget, our COO, said simply that "it's totally grody."
- Kenzi made a face and said, "Guys..." like she was disappointed in us.
Which team are you on? How do you eat cottage cheese? Claim your allegiances in the comments.
Photo by James Ransom