If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Egg-yolk yellow, springy, and rosy-cheeked like dolls, Pikachus are a fantastical mouse-like species that can be captured by humans and taught to fight other creatures for fun. You already know this if you...
a) played Pokémon the Game Boy game or card game during their heydays during the 90s
b) got hooked on the cartoon series that was released sometime between them or
c) downloaded Pokémon Go, Nintendo's new "augmented reality" version of the game that was released over the weekend.
In Go, the power of your GPS and phone camera are harnessed so you actually spot Pokemon wherever you go—bug-like Pokémon when you're in a park, water-dwelling Pokémon when you're by the water, Pokémon wherever Pokémon really shouldn't be—instead of just capturing them in the world of the video or card game. The more you wander through the real world, the better you're likely to do in the game.
Due to an overwhelming surge in popularity upon its release, Go has lots of otherwise-intelligent people walking around outside and going all kinds of places while staring intensely at their iPhones and Androids. As if we needed more of that!
We aren't against Pokémon Go (we might even have a fan or two on our staff) but we are, resoundingly, for going outside to be outside—so here are fifteen reasons to walk out your door and leave the Pikachus be for a bit.
1. Follow the sound of an ice cream truck until you get some ice cream. Then eat it.
2. Run through a neighbor's sprinkler, and then keep running.
3. Roll around in the grass. Then take a little shower so you don't go to bed itchy.
4. Beeline to your local farmers market—it's stone fruit season! Running allowed.
5. Make sun-prints.
5. Try to fry an egg on the (cleaned) hood of a car.
6. Pet, play with, or take a real animal on a run. The novelty!
7. Play a game with other humans (the thought!). Free ideas: Frisbee, bocce ball, tag, Red Rover.
8. Paint a piece of furniture.
9. Sit still and watch the fog lift in the morning. Coffee makes this especially fun.
10. Go on a picnic.
11. Find a shady spot and write a postcard.
12. Fly a kite, especially if you have a small child to fly a kite with. (Can your Pikachu do that?)
13. Catch fireflies. Then let them go so you can sleep at night.
14. Watch the sun go up and the sun go down—so many colors! and feelings! and no technology at all!
15. String the string lights that are hiding in your holiday ornament box all over the back porch or an open window.
What's your favorite reason to step outside these days? Tell us in the comments!