Have you heard? Sign ups for the sixth annual Holiday Swap are underway!
If this is news to you, the Holiday Swap is a community-wide food exchange (like a non-denominational Secret Santa for food-lovers) and Food52ers from all over the world join in. To make sure you have the best experience possible, we've laid out a step-by-step guide to participating.
An outline of the fun:
1) Submit your information to this form by Monday, November 28th. Spread the word and convince your favorite Food52ers to join up as well.
2) Immediately after completing Step 1, donate at least $5 dollars to the Edible Schoolyard Project, using this link.
3) Within a few days of Wednesday, November 30th, you will receive an email with information about your Swapee. (Make sure to add [email protected] to your address book so the email doesn't get sent to your spam folder).
4) The best part: Prepare a holiday package for your Swapee! Think of all the possibilities! Homemade is ideal (you like to cook, right?), but really the goal is to send someone a little bit of holiday joy in whatever way you know how. Maybe your Swapee's profile will give you some clues about what his or her favorite treats are, or maybe you know your passion fruit preserves will knock their socks off. Be creative!
Keep in mind that some items will survive shipping better than others—package them well! Don't worry: we'll have more tips for you about what works well for shipping—and what doesn't—when sign ups close.
5) Drop your package in the mail by Wednesday, December 14th and wait impatiently.
6) Get a package in the mail from your Secret Swapper, open with glee and take pictures before you dig in. Share them on Instagram (don’t forget to tag it with #f52holidayswap) and the Tumblr page (or email me and I will upload it to the Tumblr).
7) Thank your Gifter by snail mail, email, sky writing, or whatever your preference (PLEASE don't forget this, it's essential!).
Remember: this will only work if we all follow these guidelines. By signing up for this swap, you are promising to send a gift. Don't leave a fellow Food52er hanging! (We will find out, you will be banned from future swaps, and you will get coal in your stocking, I'm sure).
Note: For Food52ers outside the U.S.: You’re welcome, too! Because it's trickier to organize, if you are international and sign up, you're committing to sending anywhere, either in your home country or elsewhere in the world.
Any questions? You can reach me at [email protected]