BreakfastWhat to CookDinner, Faster

How to Have Cereal for Dinner (& Still Call Yourself an "Adult")

3 Save

If you like it, save it!

Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.

Got it!

If you like something…

Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.

Got it!

There are times, even in adulthood, when you just want cereal for dinner. I'll estimate you talk yourself out of said cereal 80% of the time (i.e. "Eggs are much more sensible.") The other 20% is broken in half: 10% having cereal for dinner, but shaming yourself about eating it, and 10% having cereal for dinner and enjoying it.

That's terrible! You should love cereal 100% of the time.

Advertisement

If your cereal conundrum lies in the fact you aren't making the cereal, here's the recipe for you: Genevieve Ko's Homemade Coco Puffs.

Genevieve Ko's Homemade Coco Puffs
Genevieve Ko's Homemade Coco Puffs

The process is as easy as stirring some stuff together and baking everything. There's chocolate involved, but whole grains, too. So, as long as you douse the cereal in very cold milk, you really can't lose.

Cereal for dinner every night of the week! Kidding, kind of... but definitely tonight.

Advertisement

First, head to the grocery store to pick up these four ingredients:

  • 3 cups unsweetened puffed whole-grain cereal
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 tablespoons solid virgin coconut oil
  • Bananas (or your fruit of choice)

We're assuming you already have 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 cup runny mild honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cold milk, and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. If not, add these to your list, too!

Eat by the handful, but save enough for the bowl!
Eat by the handful, but save enough for the bowl! Photo by James Ransom

About 40 minutes before dinner, heat your oven to 300° F and line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Get out a saucepan and put it on medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil, cocoa powder, honey, and salt, and whisk until smooth. Take it off the heat and whisk in the vanilla.

Gently (gently!) fold in the cereal and coconut flakes and stir until evenly coated, doing your best to to not break up the coconut flakes. Spread the mixture onto the prepared pan in an even layer, pushing it all the way to the edges.

Bake until the puffs are darker brown (remember, they're brown to begin with, so don't wander too far away), about 25 minutes. Cool completely on the sheet on a wire rack. Break the puffs into smaller clumps, if you like.

A minute before you're ready to eat, slice some banana, get out your milk, and pour that cereal into a bowl—you know how to do this. Eat.

1c9e41cd c7dd 49d8 95d6 4cee4fea3458  2016 0826 how to make coco puff cereal at home james ransom 021

Genevieve Ko's Homemade Coco Puffs

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796 Sarah Jampel
38 Save Recipe
Makes 3 1/2 cups
  • 2 tablespoons solid virgin coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup (85 grams) runny mild honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups (92 grams) unsweetened puffed whole-grain cereal
  • 1/2 cup (47 grams) unsweetened coconut flakes

See the full recipe here.

Tags: dinner tonight