Oh hey, hi there! Come around back, we’re just starting up the BBQ. And just starting up our latest recipe contest, too. The theme this time: Grilling. (Jumps up and down. Claps hands. Jumps up and down while clapping hands.) Do we seem over excited? Maybe we are! What can we say! We love grilling.
Submissions are—checks watch—officially open. They’ll close at 6 PM EST on May 31. Here’s a little more on what we’re looking for:
- Old favorites and new classics alike. Do you make the best cheeseburger in the neighborhood? We’re listening. Or, is the grill your secret weapon for the ultimate ice cream somehow? We’re all ears.
- Gas or charcoal: doesn’t matter to us. We know grill enthusiasts have a million and one opinions about which is better here—and we do love a lively culinary debate—but this contest is an anything-goes zone. Which means...
- Grill pans are fair game, too. Is this technically grilling, you ask? Maybe, maybe not. But for those of us who don’t have a grill, it’s as close as it gets. And if your steak is stripey-charred and your kitchen has an open window and your hand has a cold beer, what’s the difference?
- Foil and friends: Welcome! Which is to say, the food doesn’t need to directly touch the grates. If you want to bundle potatoes in foil, like a little present, be our guest. That said...
- It should be grill-y. Maybe smoky. Maybe charred. That something-something that distinguishes the dish’s appearance and flavor from something made on the stove or in the oven.
- It doesn’t have to be hot. From burgers to brats to s’mores, most BBQ staples are served hot. But that doesn’t mean all submissions have to be. Maybe you grill tomatoes and turn them into tomorrow’s pico de gallo. Why not, right?
There are two ways to submit. First, make sure you’re signed in. Then:
- If you have a grilling recipe already on the site, go to that recipe page, hit “Edit Recipe” (under the photo), scroll down, hit “Submit my recipe to a contest,” select the grilling contest, and save.
- If you want to add a new recipe, head to your own profile page, select “Recipes,” click “Add a Recipe,” upload it, hit “Submit my recipe to a contest,” select the grilling contest, and save.
We read every submission and test as many as possible. But that’s a lot of reading and a lot of testing. We’re counting on you to help, too. Peruse the submission pages and make (and favorite!) any recipe that catches your eye. Then share feedback on the recipe page or send it directly to [email protected] We take all this feedback into account as we narrow down to the top five.
For a full refresher on how the whole contest process works, head here.
Best of luck!
What fall-related themes would you love to see in future contests? Let us know in the comments below!