I eat oatmeal for breakfast at least once a week. It’s nourishing and filling—and riffable and cost-effective and time-efficient. Whether I’m starting with instant oats or old-fashioned, microwaving a bowl never takes more than five minutes from start to finish.
So, which toppings can we assemble in that amount of time?
Actually, a lot. Not only do toppings make an otherwise sleepy breakfast bright-eyed (and bushy-tailed!), but the just-about-endless possibilities avoid any oatmeal fatigue. Here are 20 ideas that you can pull together while your oatmeal is cooking.
- Any milk + flaky salt
- Butter + flaky salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil + flaky salt
- Butter + maple syrup
- Tahini + chopped dates
- Greek yogurt + honey
- Heavy cream + strawberry jam
- Crème fraîche + grated chocolate
- Canned pumpkin + maple syrup
- Golden raisins + brown sugar
- Grated apple + cinnamon
- Coconut milk + toasted almonds
- Cocoa powder + peanut butter
How do you mix up your morning oatmeal? Share your favorite toppings in the comments!
- Leftover roast veg + olive oil
- Soy sauce + chili crisp
- Avocado + salsa
- Fried egg + hot sauce
- Grated cheddar + fried egg
- Grated pecorino + black pepper
- Pesto + toasted walnuts