A question about a recipe: Eggplant Parmesan

I am planning to make this for my dad's birthday but will not have time on the day to make it so am planning to make the eggplant part a week in advance, but only if there is a chance it will freeze and defrost well. Any thoughts on freezing eggplants and specifically ones that have been oven roasted?

C1a31eb3 1602 4b88 9617 c1d332433d9c  eggplant parm
Recipe question for: Eggplant Parmesan

Kristen Miglore December 5, 2011

I haven't done it myself, but you'd probably just want to skip the flour dredging so it wouldn't get soggy and fall apart. In the comments section on the recipe a couple people reported that the recipe was great without it anyway.

Droplet
Droplet December 5, 2011

I have done it but I fry my eggplants. The texture is fine when I defrost and bake later. I assume if you brush them well with oil before roasting and use a hot oven so they don't dry out and shrink, they should be ok. Since they are lated baked again with the sauce, they are pretty forgiving of having been frozen.