My CSA has given me turnips & I have no idea what to make with them. Any recipe ideas?

asked by Eugenia,Allen over 6 years ago

Bevi

Try my root gratin: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
You can add a few parsnips or carrots if you don't want to use only turnips.

And here is another recipe that includes potatoes: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

stacey_ballis

I like to do them in a simple stovetop glaze....just peel and slice and cook slowly over medium heat in a saute pan with some chopped shallot, and barely enough chicken stock to cover. As the stock cooks down, the turnips cook through, and by the time the stock has become more of a glaze and less of a sauce the turnips should be perfectly cooked. Stir in a nugget of butter and whatever fresh herbs you have on hand.

bigpan

Peel and bake with other root veg and a bit of olive oil and tomato paste ( which helps the caramelization).

lorigoldsby

My husband turns up his nose at cooked turnips but will eat them raw. Slice into large chunks and serve with your favorite crudite dip.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

My mom used to mash them with potatoes and carrots. I think it's traditionally an Irish thing to do, even though we aren't Irish :) Anyway, it's delicious. You can simply peel, then steam or boil them like the potatoes and carrots.

ATG117

i've roasted them with root vegetables. My mom used to put them in her chicken soup. You can put them in a vegetable soup too.

This Thanksgiving a guest brought creamed pearl onions and turnips. It was delicious and think she found the recipe on epicurious.

We love turnips, especially in the spring and fall. We slice them and put them in sandwiches or use as crudites because that is whay my Mom and Dad did all those years ago.

Pickled is great - you can do a quick pickle, just peel and slice them, then make a mix of vinegar, water, a little sugar and whatever spices you might like, bring that to a simmer, pour over the turnip slices, cool and pop into the fridge. I think my CSA has turnips this week, if yes I will try to put together a real recipe with measurements and things!

KGpolicy

I chop them into 1/2 inch cubes and layer the bottom of a baking dish and then roast a chicken (at 500 degrees for about 45 minutes) in the same dish. They absorb all the chicken yumminess, keep the baking dish from burning, and come out amazingly tender.

lloreen

This NY Times recipe for carmelized turnips with lemon, capers, and parsley is a huge hit at my house. You can serve it luke-warm or hot. We eat it like candy. http://www.nytimes.com...