🔕 🔔

What exactly is the role of cream of tartar and are there substitutes?

asked by ladycakes over 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Cream of tartar helps to stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites, to produce a creamier texture in candy and frostings, and it is also used as a leavening agent in baking powder. There isn't a great substitute for it, but sometimes you can get away without it -- what kind of recipe do you need it for?

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

A bit of cream of tartar keeps eggs stiff when beaten. Personally I don't use it - I use a copper bowl to beat the eggs with a hand wisk - believe it or not, it is faster than a electric beater! ( the copper works the egg white same as tartar)